Rich In Natural Resources.
HSC is a strong advocate or patient education, and we strive to help each of our patients learn as much as possible about the specifics of their individual situation. To that end, we have compiled the following list of resources, which we hope will help you make a thoughtful and informed decision regarding the treatment of your hair loss.
Share ideas on our sponsored Hair Loss Forum
Information for further research on hair loss for adults and children
This information resource was compiled by Dr. Harris and the Hair Sciences Center. It is used when patients are not able to utilize prescription or surgical options offered by Dr. Harris. There are numerous support groups for illness related to hair loss, and salon resources to assist patients in appearance options.
- http://www.hairlosstalk.com/resourcelibrary/index.htm Contains Adobe PDF files on all of the current research projects on hair loss by leading researchers in the field.
- Keep Kids Healthy http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/symptoms/hairloss.html
- Kids Health.org http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/symptoms/hairloss.html
Patient support groups
- Share ideas on our sponsored Hair Loss Forum.
- The National Alopecia Areata Foundation: The mission of the National Alopecia Areata Foundation (NAAF) is to support research to find a cure or acceptable treatment for alopecia areata, to support those with the disease, and to educate the public about alopecia areata. As reporter in the November 20, 2002 issue of the Denver Post, Carla Garrity runs a Denver-area support group at (303) 761-1572. www.naaf.org.
- Alopecia Kids http://www.alopeciakids.com/ is tailored to children’s needs.
- Alopecia Areata Medical Reference Library: Numerous links to alopecia sites and resources.http://www.floridamedicalnetwork.com/diseases/alopecia.htm.
- WomenWithHairLoss.com shares the latest medical research and answer to your most frequently asked questions, product choices and the best search engine on the internet for hair loss specialists. This website lists numerous wig and related stores in Colorado.
- Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.http://www.pcosupport.org/medical/whatis.php. A cystic ovarian condition which affects insulin levels, fertility, and can cause hair loss.
- American Cancer Society: An excellent resource with information on cancer prevention, treatment, support services and much more. (http://www.cancer.org/)
- Cancer Guide: Dedicated to helping you find the answers to your questions about cancer, and especially to helping you find the questions you need to ask. (http://www.cancerguide.org/)
- Breast Cancer.Net: Bringing you the latest news on breast cancer research and treatment since 1996. (http://www.breastcancer.net/)
- National Coalition for Cancer Survivorship: Founded in 1986 by and for cancer survivors, the NCCS has grown into a nationwide network of independent organizations and individuals working in the area of cancer support and information.http://www.cansearch.org/
- National Alliance of Breast Cancer Organizations: This message is communicated through a nationwide educational campaign to audiences including women in all age and ethnic groups, the general public, state and federal governments, women’s health care professionals, and employers.http://www.nabco.org/
- National Breast Cancer Awareness: Dedicated to increasing the awareness of breast cancer issues, especially the importance of early detection.http://www.nbcam.org/
- Trichotillomania Learning Center Inc. TLC is a national non-profit organization devoted to advanced understanding of trichotillomania (TTM) or compulsive hair-pulling. (http://www.trich.org/)
- Amanda’s Trichotillomania Guide: Everything of interest to trichotillomania sufferers, including support, info, treatments, FAQ, links and more.http://www.home.intekom.com/jly2/indexp1.html
Hair prosthesis options for adults and children
- http://www.hatandhair.com/ – Hairpieces with hats.
- Thee Hair Solution – a wig supplier linked to the NAAF. The distributor is an alopecia areata patient.
- Hairagain.com – One of many wig and hairpiece suppliers outside of Colorado.
- Headcovers.com – At “Headcovers Unlimited”, their specialty is hats, hats with hair and other head-wear for hair loss and cancer patients.
- Locksoflove.org – Locks of Love is a non-profit organization that provides hairpieces to financially disadvantaged children across the U.S. under age 18 suffering from long-term medical hair loss. Locks of Love meets a unique need for children throughout the United States by using donated hair to create the highest quality hair prosthetics. Most of the children helped by Locks of Love have lost their hair due to a medical condition called alopecia areata, which has no known cause or cure. The prostheses they provide help to restore a child’s self-esteem and their confidence, enabling them to face the world and their peers.
- www.wigsforkids.org – Wigs for Kids is another organization who helps with hair prosthesis for children.